RND PROJECT TESTING PTEX AND ARNOLD 3
OVERLOADING A SCENE…
Most car commercials at the time had to look like an apple advert and had to be minimal and shiny. So I decided to do an opposite project. I've always loved the Delorian and figured: "why not do a treasure trove type thing?"
Turned out overloading a scene with actual 3d objects was a pretty long winded process. The result was a single .exr Frame which I then took to nuke to comp.
I took inspiration for look from foggy looking manga films from the 80s. It was also the first time I ever used Arnold render after using V-ray for many years prior.
PTEX & pipline…
It turned out that Ptex was unusable with Arnold at the time.So i ended up using various ordinary UV unwrapping tools & Mudbox's built in stuff.
For "home production" I found Mudbox the better choice vs Mari & Zbush as the pipeline with Maya or 3ds is much easier and smaller.
One good thing about Mudbox especially is that it doesn't like bad geo at all!!! which means everything that goes through Mudbox renders like a dream later on and doesn't produce any artefacts.
A shame is that Ptex hasn't really become much of a production standard either since then it seems...I can't stand UV's...